Thursday, February 10, 2011

Scientific Literacy - Jane Goodall

Date: 14 January 2011

Article 1
Title: The Discover Interview: Jane Goodall
Author: Virginia Morell
Date: 28/3/07
Source: DISCOVER Magazine

Article 2
Title: Discover Dialogue: Primatologist Jane Goodall
Author: Jocelyn Selim
Date: 29/5/04
Source: DISCOVER Magazine

Identifying HoMs of Jane Goodall
1) Responding with awe & wonderment
- Jane said that she is attracted to chimpanzees because they "blur the line between humans and animals" and give you a "new respect" for chimps and other animals

2) Remaining open to continuous learning
- Even after spending decades with chimpanzees, Jane Goodall still wants to analyze more data and learn more about chimps.

3) Questioning & posing problems
- Jane Goodall questions the line between Man & chimpanzee extensively after observing the behaviour of chimpanzees

4) Persisting
- When Jane Goodall first went to Gombe, she had to wait for a few months before making contact with chimpanzees

Reflections
1) Yes, my impression of scientists has changed. In the past, I used to think that scientists had to be highly qualified graduates with multiple degrees. However, Jane Goodall is a prime example that anyone can be a scientist, as long as one has the right traits and habits of mind.

2) Some traits I would like to incorporate would be remaining open to continuous learning and persisting. I could do this by reading up and finding out more than just what is covered in class. As for persisting, I can remind myself not to give up every time I face an obstacle, and keep on trying till I've reached my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment